Wherein Mike Warot describes a novel approach to computing which follows George Gilders call to waste transistors.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Finding a market

I had a break at the recent SuperComm in Chicago, where I was taking pictures for work. I talked to one of the publishers on an embedded systems magazine. Like everyone I talked to about the BitGrid idea, he had his own idea of what was missing... he said I needed a market, or as we would say at work, a Target Audience... he's right.


I have an idea which could be used to build really cheap computing engines, or really huge supercomputers... but the flexibility makes targeting an audience a problem. I think right now I remain the only target.

Jonathan Schwarts talks about Big data, small compute and the different scales of computing. I see this as a cheap way to do a very fast bit of computing on a big dataset. Piping a 5Gigabyte database from RAM through a 64 bit interface could happen in 1 second, with a somewhat aggressive 700 Mhz clock. I'm going to have to figure out what he's really talking about in terms of compute tasks to see if it's a good fit.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I fix things, I take pictures, I write, and marvel at the joy of life. I'm trying to leave the world in better condition than when I found it.