Wherein Mike Warot describes a novel approach to computing which follows George Gilders call to waste transistors.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Learning about chip design

I really need to find out how much power a BitGrid cell will consume, in order to find out how well it could realistically deliver on the Exascale challenge. This is forcing me to learn all about VLSI design. Thanks to CMOSedu, I'm getting up to speed on Electric and LTspice right now. I hope to learn enough to have an answer within an order of magnitude this week.  I'm hoping I can get it in the range of 1 pJoule/operation/cell for a naive design. This would allow a 1000x1000 chip to operate at 1 watt at 1 Ghz.   I expect static power to be very low.


I've got a month until the first DARPA deadline for submissions...

wish me luck.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I fix things, I take pictures, I write, and marvel at the joy of life. I'm trying to leave the world in better condition than when I found it.